Day one: To find the way

Tres Cantos (km 653) - Colmenar Viejo (km 641)
I didn't know how to find the way, so I just walked in the right direction, not wise.
I ended up at the carretera which I couldn't cross. However I saw a cycle/pedestrian path on the other side, so I walked back, found a viaduct and on the other side of the railroad:
Voila! My first arrow!



Then... Finally on my way.
But Ohmagawd - am I really going to walk over those mountains?



First break
After walking an hour or so, the camino started to follow a small stream. Every now and then I had to cross it, and I took the opportunity to let my feet feel the cool water! To sit in the shadow and have an energy bar and some peach juice... aaah. Lovely.









Madrid from afar
When entering Colmenar Viejo, I looked back. I could still see the Madrid high rise buildings.



It was still quite early in the afternoon, and most places were closed for siesta. The ayuntamiento (town hall), the tourist office, all closed.
At first I walked to the other side so I knew where to continue my walk next day.
Then I wandered around to find a pension and a hotel. My notes said there should be a pension very close to the Plaza del Pueblo. I couldn't find it. Finally I went to the Railway station (not exactly in the centre of town...) and asked there. Got the name and address of one hostal.
Found my way back to the ayuntamiento, they stamped my credencial and I got the address of another pension. Yes indeed, it was close to the plaza. I had walked past it several times, but there were no signs! A small piece of paper next to the doorbell announced its presence. I rang. No answer. I waited. I rang again. No answer.
Walked all the way to the Gran Hostal. Fully booked. On a Wednesday. Or maybe the lady at the counter thought I wasn't grand enough?
This was the first time ever that I hadn't found a bed for the night in Spain. Or anywhere.

So... by now it was too late to keep on walking.
I took a bus back to Madrid, found a cheap bed in a hostal I've stayed before.
Realised that I would have been in the next town if I just had kept on walking, but I decided to just be happy that I had a room and a bathtub. :)

Tip of the day: Book a room if you want to sleep in Colmenar Viejo.

Inga kommentarer: