Day two: Not defeated

Colmenar Viejo (km 641) – Manzanares el Real (km 626)



Walking the camino is a test, of course. It's part of the challenge to be outside the comfort zone, not knowing what the day has to offer.
But I hadn't thought that I'd have to face this kind of test. So with a new and weary feeling of what-have-I-gotten-myself-into, I had decided that if I didn't find shelter tonight, I would book somewhere over the internet and stay in one place in the mountains doing daytrips instead of walking the Camino.
With this in mind, I took a bus to Colmenar Viejo, hopped off it close to the Camino and went into a supermarket to get some provisions for the day.
In the supermarket I met an old man who had walked the Camino three times. He offered me a ride, which I gently declined and sad I was doing the camino by foot. (Not mentioning the bus ride ida y vuelta a Madrid, of course.) He laughed a little, and wished me Buen Camino, and so I was on my way again. Feeling much better.



Just outside Colmenar was the milestone for km 639.


I walked and walked. The weather was nice, cloudy but no wind or rain.
Had I known about this deserted house between Colmenar and Manzanares (after crossing the railroad before crossing the M-607), maybe I'd have continued walking yesterday.
Didn't check if it was "sleepable" though!



These, luckily, behind fence.





The fragrance was overwhelming, weed consisting of thyme and this purple bush. Smelled like rosemary, but the colour was a bit different from the ones I've seen in gardens. I'll check the flora and come back!
Checked: It is Spanish Lavender! (Lavandula stoechas)
I also met a hoopoe! My first ever, in the wild.



Not too far from Manzanares el Real, rain is coming closer, but so far not much on me.
When I was close enough to see the town, it started to rain heavily, so I decided to go to the most central hotel I had on my list, even if it was rather early.
And so I did.
The room was fantastic, not too expensive and had a lovely balcony with a view.



a view and a rainbow!



a view, a rainbow and storks just outside the window! How cool is that?

Ayuntamento was closed, so was the castle. Couldn't get my stamp. But the hotel stamped the credencial, so no worries. And it was raining heavily anyway so I felt no need to see the sights.
I was hungry when there were no restaurants open, of course, so I went to the supermercado and bought cheese, ham, bread and wine, and some yoghurt for breakfast.
So, the rest of the night I simply sat on my balcony watching the storks feed their "babies". Not bad, not bad at all.

Tip of the day: Bring - or find - a walking stick. Might help you fight off "dangerous" cows.

Inga kommentarer: