Day five: High fashion

Las Dehesas (km 604) – Segovia (km 576)
I woke up when it was still dark outside, by more rain hammering on my window. Was on the road by eight o'clock, knowing I had a long and somewhat strenous walk ahead of me.
My poncho and rain jacket weren't sufficient, so yesterday I got some garbage bags and duct tape at Supersol and made a pair of rain chaps. High fashion, or is the correct term High altitude fashion, perhaps? They worked extremely well and were ultra light so I was happy! They also protected a bit from the strong winds at Puerto Fuenfria. My hat got a shower cap from the same material, as yesterday had proved that impregnation wasn't enough to keep my head dry.



Pretty, am I not?



Part of the road was paved, as it is an old Roman road. More or less a stream in this weather. Much better than mud track, though!



This's supposed to be a view point so beautiful it's marked on the map. This morning there was only clouds to see. Beautiful still. I had a Robin following me for a while. Very cute.



It' strange to think that this road has been here since Roman times. I hope whoever made it also had time to take a break and watch the view.



Pretty steep, and I feel the altitude. Taking one step at the time.
Four kilometres took three hours to walk.
By now I'm not only wet, but cold too. Still I don't regret being here on my own. It's wonderful.
My new hobby is to find a way of stretching various muscles without taking the backpack off!



Being a country girl I'm ashamed to admit it but cows are scary. Especially cows protecting their new born calves against foreign ladies covered in plastic. Armed with a brand new walking stick and some old songs sung at the top of my voice I take the high road and is scary enough to walk by without being hunted by the evil beasts.



The cow "fear factor" is the reason I kept the fence between myself and the Puerto Fuenfría milestone that states I'm at 1796 metres above sea level...



The rain has stopped and I have changed into dry clothes and changed my inner soles and socks too. Had some canned tuna salad, (cold) coffee, a piece of cake and was happy to be on my way downwards.











Tough chick, huh?

Once in Segovia I just stopped at a hotel that looked really nice, couldn't walk one extra step. It was even more luxurios than the one in Navacerrada. I spent half an hour in the bath tub, if not more. I wasn't hungry at all after all my energy bars and coconut cakes, but had a glass of wine in in mind. However, I ended up watching telly, drinking tea. Sandra Bullock sounds really stupid dubbed to Spanish, but so does Keanu Reeves. (Yup, it was Speed).

Tip of the day: Bring many dry socks and innersoles, and don't forget spanish cakes – they'll keep you going.